CDR: Advanced Cheesemaking: American-Style Varieties (In-Person)
Center for Dairy Research1605 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1519
Including: Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Cheese Curds, cheese for processing
This advanced level cheesemaking course takes a deep dive into American-Style cheese varieties. Content that was previously a part of our Advanced Cheese Technology short course has been revamped to enhance your cheesemaking knowledge and skills with classroom lectures by CDR content experts, hands-on labs and activities, sensory experiences, and critical thinking exercises. Successful completion of Cheesemaking Fundamentals (or pre-approved work experience*) is required prior to taking this course.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Describe and demonstrate the fundamental American-Style cheesemaking steps.
- Master the understanding of the foundational science related to cheesemaking.
- Understand the functionality and end user applications of American-Style cheeses.
- Identify defects, causes and solutions common in American-Style cheeses.
- Understand the impact of varying key processing steps on the quality of
- Describe the unique steps and qualities in manufacturing the wide range of American-Style cheese varieties.
- Discover the similarities and differences between commodity and Artisan American-Style cheese varieties.
Course Technical Contact: Dean Sommer
Contact for Registration or Other Questions: Heather Cooper (CDR)