Automation Engineer 2
Job Title: Automation Engineer
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Description: The Automation Engineer is responsible for the plant-wide programming of automation and controls systems along with facilitating projects, assisting with troubleshooting, training technicians, and implementing new policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of HMI’s including modifying existing graphics, creating new graphics based on an existing library of blocks, alarms, trends, backing up and restoring HMI projects, maintaining and troubleshooting industrial PC’s and touchscreens.
- Configure and interface with many different types of field instruments with both Ethernet/IP and hardwired IO including VFDs, level sensors, flow meters, chart recorders, photo eye’s, temperature sensors, etc.
- Modify existing control panels and design new control panels as needed including AC and DC power distribution, fuses, breakers, terminal blocks, power supplies, etc. Must be able to conform to all appropriate electrical standards including NFPA 70E.
- Troubleshoot and maintain Ethernet networks as needed. Must have at least a basic understanding of IP addresses, netmasks, gateways, DNS, switches, routers, and cat5(e) wiring.
- Assist with problem solving to keep the plant running.
- Troubleshoot and modify existing PLC and HMI programs.
- Write new programs for PLCs, and HMIs.
- Program VFDs, sensors, networks, chart recorders, and miscellaneous devices.
- Manage and implement projects as assigned.
- Train and develop team members.
- Maintain process-related computers and systems.
- Help with systems/structure for maintaining equipment and department documentation.
- Help production with efficiencies, throughput, safety, and quality.
- Work with management on new ideas or policies from concept to implementation.
- Understand and adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Safety Protocol
- Stop any observed unsafe acts and obey facility safety rules and procedures.
- Correct or report any observed safety hazards.
- Support safety policies and programs.
- Associate or Technical School Degree in Electrical Engineering or Automation required.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and/or experienced may be considered.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Dairy and project management experience preferred.
- PLC/HMI and Drive programming knowledge required.
- Experience using CAD software required.
- Communicate well both verbally and in writing with colleagues and individuals inside and outside the organization.
- Intermediate math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, comparative analysis, measurements, statistical analysis).
- Intermediate computer skills with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook and field-specific software.
- Ability to apply logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, establish priorities, ability to multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrate functional and technical knowledge, ability to learn new skills quickly, and achieve a high level of accomplishment.
- Result driven, bottom-line orientated, strives to exceed goals, and motivates self and others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy in work.
- Good wiring ability and general mechanical skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Exhibit a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
Hours/Employment Type: Full Time
How to Apply: Please visit our website.