Cheese Innovation Scientist
Job Title: Cheese Innovation Scientist
Company: Burnett Dairy Cooperative
Location: Grantsburg, WI
Description: The role of the Cheese Innovation Scientist is to assist with the execution of R&D projects in order to deliver new cheese products and concepts to expand our core business. This position also helps with scale-up trials, recipe development, and standard operating procedures for production related to new products. Primary responsibilities include:
Research & Development
- Assists with development and commercializing new products and processes including bench top development, pilot plant trials, and production plant trials to achieve business objectives.
- Assists with designing and executing projects for scaling up bench top and pilot plant processes to full production level.
- Prepares periodic special reports concerning the results of laboratory tests or products development trials including next steps and impact on key business initiatives.
- Designs and develops stress and shelf-life systems in support of new product/package development.
- Applies experimental design and statistics to sensory research and product development.
- Works with lab personnel/suppliers/vendors to evaluate ingredients, recipes, and processes to ensure the highest quality product.
- Provides technical support and problem solving on cheese production and product performance issues.
- Develops SOPs for scale-up trials and performs audits on new R&D products to ensure they are being produced according to SOPs as well as all specifications.
- Determines appropriate research methodologies to coordinate, design, plan, conduct, analyze, and interpret in-house tests and consumer research studies (quantitative research) to reduce business risk in decision-making and enhance product knowledge.
- Demonstrates proficiency in analytical, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of sensory methods and techniques (discrimination, descriptive and consumer test methods).
- Works efficiently and productively with R&D, QA, Operations, and Supply Chain
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- The educational requirements for this position are a Bachelor’s Degree in Dairy Science, Food Science, or related required with 3-5 years of experience.
- A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- In order to be successful in this position, candidates should have demonstrated analytical experience, specifically for various chemical, sensory and physical properties like protein, calcium, fat, moisture, flavor, texture, shredabilty and meltability.
- Demonstrated expert test development knowledge and strong presentation, scientific writing, communication and listening skills are also required.
Hours/Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: Based on experience.
How to Apply: Visit our website
Questions? Please contact Becky Popp, (715) 689-2005