Packaging Engineer - Lake Mills, WI
Job Title: Packaging Engineer
Company: Crystal Farms
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin
Description: The packaging specialist is responsible for leading our packaging development, maintenance and innovation. This individual leads the teams understanding customer/consumer requirements, and packaging engineering - translating that knowledge into new and improved packaging or technology platforms. This position is expected to lead and participate in cross-functional project teams and is the champion of design quality. The packaging specialist is also involved in improving the quality of existing packaging, reducing costs, and maximizing the return to the shareholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implementation of Innovation & Renovation Packaging strategy in the market. Leverages technical experience and education, R&D and external industry insights to develop, implement, and execute creative packaging development activities to achieve project goals and deadlines to delight the consumer and drive customer preference.
- Drives creative structural packaging development, as part of Innovation/Renovation projects and processes that delivers on consumer and foodservice industry insights and key Brand attributes. Uses consumer & customer centric insights. Considers manufacturing and operational constraints and hurdles.
- Drives technical matter with packaging suppliers. Participates in the selection of packaging material and equipment suppliers. Responsible for maintaining vendor and industry relationships to keep abreast of current trends and to ascertain future trends.
- Maintains/Develops packaging specifications & packaging safety documentation. Ensures that the packaging solutions comply with global specification guidelines, operates efficiently in production and provides adequate protection through the distribution system in a cost-effective manner.
- Provides technical support and packaging expertise to internal customers, including Marketing, Operations, QA, Procurement, and others. Serves as a point-person to proactively search out packaging solutions that are aligned with Brand vision and Manufacturing strategy.
- Responsible for performing packaging production qualification trials (materials and vendor selection) as well as shipping and handling tests. Reviews and evaluates and documents results, facilitates decision making.
- Works with Quality Manager to set quality attributes and evaluation procedures for packaging components, ensuring quality by design. Understand and ensure packaging materials meet the legal requirements for food packaging.
- Collaborates internally and externally (marketing, T&P, R&D, suppliers, etc.) in a team environment to develop, industrialize, and launch new packaging, quality improvements, compliance, and productivity cost savings.
- Executes packaging graphics projects; has input and approval responsibilities. Responsible for providing accurate packaging specifications and templates to Packaging Communications team. Responsible for execution of new graphics once approved by cross functional team.
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Package Engineering, related technical field, or equivalent experience plus a minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Strong working knowledge of food manufacturing packaging materials, quality assurance principles, packaging supply market and market research practices.
- Strong teamwork, problem solving and presentation skills.
- Advanced PC skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with SAP, statistical software desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project planning and management skills, ability to lead teams and multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Highly motivated individual with ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel 10-20% is required.
Hours/Employment Type: Full Time
How to Apply: Visit our online posting
Questions? Please contact Calyn Posey, (614) 427-0399 x504980