Dairy Laboratory Administrator
Job Title: Dairy Laboratory Administrator
Company: South Dakota Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Location: Brookings, South Dakota
Description: This is a full-time position with the South Dakota Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources (DANR). For more information on the department, please visit danr.sd.gov. DANR's mission is to protect and preserve South Dakota's agriculture, environment, and natural resources. The successful applicant will be a member of the Livestock Services Program. The dedicated staff of professionals in the Livestock Services Program work hard to create and sustain a vision for South Dakota that is prosperous and diverse with clean air, clean water, and healthy families. We are seeking individuals with a strong desire to learn and an interest in building a career.
As part of the Livestock Services Program, you will play an important role managing the State Dairy Laboratory by ensuring laboratory functions are implemented according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Laboratory Performance and Testing Protocol and that FDA accreditation is maintained to ensure uninterrupted interstate shipment of milk and milk products produced in the state. The position functions as the state Certified Laboratory Evaluation Officer (LEO) by evaluating and certifying dairy industry laboratories and analysts to ensure they function in compliance with FDA laboratory procedures. The position ensures the safety and quality of milk and milk products produced and sold in South Dakota by directing the operations of the State Dairy Laboratory to provide official analyses on milk, milk products, and water in compliance with applicable FDA and American Public Health guidelines; performing evaluations of dairy industry laboratories; and providing expertise in certification of laboratories, analysts, and laboratory practices to facilitate statewide compliance with federal and state regulations.
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
Licenses and Certifications:
- FDA Laboratory Evaluation Officer Certification or the ability to obtain certification preferred.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Applicants with a bachelor's/master's degree in Dairy Manufacturing, Dairy Production, or related field highly preferred.
- federal and state laws and rules governing the operation of a dairy laboratory and application of those rules to the results of analyses;
- methodologies and science supporting procedures used in dairy industry laboratories;
- principles, policies, and practices of dairy laboratory management;
- equipment, materials, and chemicals used in a laboratory;
- dairy science, dairy manufacturing, and dairy processing, including computerized control systems;
- personnel and fiscal management;
- principles of statistical analysis.
- interpret federal and state laws and rules consistently for department managers and staff, the dairy industry, retailers, and the public;
- develop or implement defined, scientific protocols for testing and analysis that are legally defensible;
- inspect and evaluate laboratory facilities, staff, records, and reach objective analyses based on scientific facts;
- communicate information clearly and concisely;
- provide technical assistance to managers, staff, industry and the public;
- use a computer.
Hours/Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: The state of South Dakota offers a generous health benefits package which includes options for health, vision, and dental insurance in addition to one of the strongest retirement systems in the nation.
South Dakota state government understands the importance of having a work/life balance and this position includes paid vacation leave, sick leave, and family leave.
We offer training and development opportunities to build your skills and knowledge. It is not just a job; it is an opportunity to build a career.
How to Apply: Visit our online posting
Questions? Call (605) 773-3148 or email email@example.com