Bid on Award-Winning Cheeses at Virtual Championship Cheese Auction April 7
Date postedMarch 3, 2021
Celebrate the immense talent of cheesemakers around the world and support industry education during the live Championship Cheese Auction, part of the Chr. Hansen Spotlight Event at CheeseExpo Global Online on Wednesday, April 7 at 3 p.m. (CT).
The Auction will feature 10 award-winning cheeses, all previous winners at the World and U.S. Championship Cheese Contests. Successful bids support the Contests, as well as the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association’s (WCMA) educational contributions. In recent years, WCMA has contributed $1.4 million to building and development projects at the Center for Dairy Research, University of Wisconsin-River Falls and South Dakota State University. WCMA also runs leadership skills training for member employees, and rewards $15,000 per year in student scholarships.
“The Championship Cheese Auction highlights excellence in cheesemaking and the generosity of the dairy processing industry,” said John Umhoefer, WCMA Executive Director. “It’s also a lot of fun, and we’re excited to bring the industry together for this special event.”
Bidders can virtually vie for the following cheeses:
- Sharp Cheddar, 40 pounds, made by Agropur, Inc. in Weyauwega, Wisconsin
- Sharp Cheddar, 40 pounds, made by Cabot Cheese in Cabot, Vermont
- Grand Cru Surchoix, 18 pounds, made by Emmi Roth USA in Monroe, Wisconsin
- Original Dutch Gouda, 22 pounds, made by FrieslandCampina in Wolvega, Friesland, Netherlands
- Le Gruyère, one-eighth wheel of 72 pound wheel (9 pound wedge), made by Michael Spycher of Gourmino & Bergkäserei Fritzenhaus in Bergkäserei Fritzenhaus, Emmental, Switzerland
- Baby Swiss, 5 pounds, made by Guggisberg Cheese in Millersburg, Ohio
- Evalon, 10 pounds, made by LaClare Farms with Mosaic Meadows in Malone, Wisconsin
- Marieke Gouda Mature, 18 pounds, made by Marieke Gouda in Thorp, Wisconsin
- SarVecchio Parmesan, 20 pounds, made by Sartori Company in Plymouth, Wisconsin
- Esquirrou, 5 pounds, made by Savencia Fromage & Dairy in France
The bidding process will run similarly to the 2020 virtual auction using the HiBid website. Bidders can watch a livestream of the Auction, where WCMA staff will supplement the auctioneer’s live action with commentary.
Bidders who participated in previous Auctions will receive registration information via email the week of March 8. New bidders can also access registration details the week of March 8 at WorldChampionCheese.org.
Please direct questions to WCMA Events Manager Kirsten Strohmenger.