WCMA Supports Dairy Industry’s Future Leaders with Scholarships Worth $15,000
MADISON, WI – The Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association (WCMA) is pleased to announce the names of 2018 scholarship recipients. Each year, WCMA shows its support for the dairy industry’s next generation of leaders through scholarship awards worth a total of $15,000.
“WCMA members recognize education as a key component to the continuing strength and growth of the dairy industry,” said John Umhoefer, WCMA Executive Director. “Through our Association, member companies have generously supported institutions of higher learning and students with total gifts worth more than $1 million.”
Umhoefer noted more than 100 applications were submitted for WCMA’s five scholarship awards, setting a new record, and making the selection process extremely competitive.
Winners of the 2018 WCMA Myron P. “Mike” Dean Cheese Industry Student Scholarship are:
- Jamie Feldmann, a production supervisor at Sartori Company in Plymouth, Wisconsin, who is pursuing a Business Management degree from Lakeshore Technical College, maintaining a 3.5 grade point average while working full-time; and,
- Alesha Radke, a packaging supervisor at Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery in Ellsworth, Wisconsin, who is pursuing a Master’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Stout, maintaining a 4.0 grade point average.
Winners of the 2018 WCMA Cheese Industry Supplier Student Scholarship are:
- Mary McClure, a part-time Customer Support Engineer at ifm efector in Malvern, Pennsylvania, seeking a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Drexel University, maintaining a 3.57 grade point average in her major;
- Audrey Medrano, an Accounting Analyst at Yamato Corporation in Mequon, Wisconsin, holding a 3.9 grade point average in pursuit of an accounting degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee; and,
- Andrew Bargender, a Purchasing Intern at A&B Process Systems in Stratford, Wisconsin via the Wisconsin State Youth Apprenticeship Program, a straight “A” student entering the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in Fall 2018 with the goal of a double major in accounting and information systems.
The source of scholarship monies is the annual Championship Cheese Auction, where gold medal cheeses from WCMA’s Championship Cheese Contests are sold to the highest bidders. This year’s auction will take place on Wednesday, April 18 at the International Cheese Technology Expo, during the Chr. Hansen Reception, beginning at 5:00 p.m. All are welcome at the auction, and more details are available at www.CheeseExpo.org.